Friday, February 21, 2014

Making the Most of It


One of the things that comes with the territory of dating a man in the service is that you have to learn to be ok with being by yourself- A LOT! Sometimes this means spending holidays all by your lonesome, which I am slowly getting used to. I'm not gonna to lie- it's pretty tough when you're a self proclaimed social butterfly and Momma's girl (and all of your friends and family are 2,000 miles away). My first taste of being solo was spending Christmas Eve alone (Chris had a 24 hour watch on base, which meant that even when he got home at 9am on Christmas morning that he slept most of the day). 

Well, Valentines this year was no exception! Chris had another all day watch and I was left trying to find something to do that would keep me preoccupied. Since we have only lived in our house for a little over 3 months and my Pinterest boards are overflowing with design ideas for it, I decided to dust off the old sewing machine and finish decorating our bedroom! Being that I am on an EXTREMELY tight budget, I had to get creative and think outside the box a little. 

I found 2 of the cutest fabrics at Walmart that had my favorite color and knew they'd make the perfect pillows! Not to mention- together it was a steal at $15!


BEFORE

(Please excuse sleeping beauty :)

AFTER


Next, it was time to tackle the curtains... The house came with these awful black curtains that just made the room feel like a dungeon. Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg on new curtains or all those yards of fabric, I decided to try something a little different! I had seen on Pinterest how to turn a plain 'ol flat sheet into curtains and we just so happened to have a bunch of extra sets of white sheets. They turned out great! I even had some fabric left over from the pillows and made a little border on the bottom!

BEFORE



AFTER



I even had some fabric left over to make little mats for the dresser and night stand. We bought our bedroom furniture on Craigslist, so there were a few scratches and scuffs and these were the perfect way to cover them up!




I eventually want to make a headboard (can't decide if I want to do one out of pallets or plywood and fabric...) but that is for another post at later time.

The next morning, Chris came home from his 24 hour shift to a new & relaxing bedroom that was perfect for him to sleep half the day away in. Meanwhile, I headed out for my new favorite Saturday tradition- the Old Town Temecula Farmer's Market! I promise to take pictures next time I am there! My favorite purchase of that day were these peonies hybrids. Aren't they just divine? There is just something about fresh flowers that just makes ya so happy- doncha think? 


After Chris woke up, we decided to venture the hour long drive west to Dana Point. My only request for our Valentine's make-up day was to see the ocean. After growing up on the beach, I was dying to see the water, smell the salt air and get my toes sandy! It was exactly the mini getaway that we needed! With all of the stress of Chris's job as a helicopter pilot and my crazy roller coaster ride in trying to get my California nursing license (4 months of waiting!!!), it was the perfect way for both of us to recharge and refocus on each other.







No comments:

Post a Comment